Yes, I made a playlist themed around careers. No, I haven’t found a professional use for this yet!
- It Could Have Been A Brilliant Career – Belle & Sebastian
- My Maudlin Career – Camera Obscura
- Career Opportunities – The Clash
- A New Career In A New Town – David Bowie
- Career Day – The Format
- Careers In Science – The Longwalls
- Why Don’t You Get A Job? – The Offspring
- 22 Grand Job – The Rakes
- Found A Job – Talking Heads
- Happy [To Have A Job] – Seasick Steve
- Something Good Can Work – Two Door Cinema Club
- 9 to 5 – Dolly Parton
- Taxman – The Beatles
- She Works Hard For The Money – Donna Summer
- This Woman’s Work – Kate Bush
- Actor Out Of Work – St. Vincent
- Too Beautiful To Work – The Luyas
- The Day The Work Is Don – Take That
Feel free to add to it with your favourites too (it’s collaborative).
My favourite track on there is The Rakes 22 Grand Job (on YouTube too, if you’re not a Spotify user). There’s a little of Super’s life-span, life-space (role as ‘lover’ alongside ‘worker’, and residual identification as ‘student’ I reckon). There’s a little of Krumboltz’s community interaction (‘but he’s on 28, and I’m on 22’…)
Have I just applied career development theories to a rock-indie track with about 43 words in the lyrics?! Time to finish my sandwich and get back to work!